The enrolment of students needs to be efficient and enable planning for provision of resources. The process should assist both the parents and the school to determine whether enrolment at St James Catholic School is appropriate.
GUIDELINES FOR IMPLEMENTATION
At St James the following criteria is the order for accepting enrolments:
1. Children with siblings already enrolled are given first priority.
2. Catholic children who are residents of the Parish.
3. Catholic children who do not reside in the parish but who are recognized as parishioners by the Parish Priest.
4. Catholic children from other parishes (for pastoral reasons)
5. Children from non-Catholic Eastern churches who reside in the parish.
6. Children from non- Catholic Eastern churches who reside outside the parish.
7. Other Christian children who reside in the parish.
8. Other Christian children who reside outside the parish.
9. Non- Christian children who reside in the parish
10. Non Christian children who reside outside the parish.
Admission to St James Catholic School comes under the above categories and in the given order of priority although Pastoral discretion may be applied by the Principal and Parish Priest.
Admission to St James Catholic School presumes that there is adequate accommodation within any given class, having regard to the guidelines of the Catholic Schools Victoria Education Policy Manual and the requirements of current Industrial Relations.
Parents having made written application for their child/ren to attend St James in Year Prep must also avail themselves for an interview with the Principal and/or Parish Priest. St. James Vermont Enrolment Policy 2011
Entry age will be in accordance with Government regulations.
Copy of Baptismal Certificate, Birth Certificate and Immunisation Certificate from ACIR (Australian Childhood Immunisation Register) is required.
Enrolment of Catholic students at St James Catholic Primary School does not guarantee a place at Catholic Regional Secondary Colleges
Enrolment of non-Catholic children in St James Catholic Primary School does not guarantee enrolment in any other Catholic Primary or Secondary schools.
In enrolling your child in one of the Parish schools of St John’s, you are viewed as parishioners and as such, there is an expectation that parents will contribute financially to the Parish through the Stewardship Program or Maintenance Development Levy.
No student will be denied enrolment because of their parent’s inability, as opposed to unwillingness, to pay school fees.
If residing in the Parish of Mitcham, enrolment at St James Catholic Primary School is determined by geographical boundaries as outlined on the accompanying map.
The Parish will consider applications from outside the zone if there is room in the particular grade or at the year level.
If there are insufficient places at one of the Parish Schools, but there is placement available at the other Parish school, parents may be invited to make application to that school.
Parents of non-Catholic, non-baptised children who desire them to be baptised are required to first contact the Parish Priest and or Pastoral Associate.
This Enrolment Policy is consistent with the CEOM Enrolment Policy.